Here's the latest news from DMRoyale
October 14, 2016
After a few aborted attempts, I finally have a system for uploading pictures of your character! If you'd like to add a picture, go to the story page for your character sheet. I'm pretty happy with it for now, but let me know what you think!
October 10, 2016
I made a couple small additions to the character sheet over the last week. Here's the rundown
- Added initiative calculator for characters not currently part of a campaign,
- Added a description field to the proficiencies/ languages section,
- Renamed Proficiencies and Languages to Features, Proficiencies and Languages.
September 22, 2016
I've got a few quick updates for you this time:
- Bug preventing Inspiration Points from updating was corrected,
- Minor formatting changes were made to the Character Sheet,
- Read Only character sheets accessible to DMs were reformatted for readability.
September 18, 2016
Feature improvement time! So, the spell/cantrip system never really jelled with me and I had been longing to replace it with something much more user friendly. So, that is what I've done. The whole spell/cantrip system has been redone. Here's a list of the changes:
- 5e spells may now be added via a dropdown list near the top of the character spells page,
- Custom spells may be created by clicking a button just below the spell selector,
- DMs may create custom spells for their campaign,
- These campaign spells will be added to the spell selector dropdown for every player character in the campaign,
- Re-formatted the spell presentation for readability,
- Added spell slots,
- Added Ki Points for Monks,
- Added old spell content recovery to the character settings page:
- Open your character sheet,
- Click "Settings",
- Click "Recover Spell List".
This is a pretty big change. Since it will affect most everybody using the spells page, I'd like to hear what people think. Is it better? Is it frustrating? Need help finding your old stuff? Write to me at email@example.com and I'll write back!
May 17, 2016
I recently received an email from a friendly user, pointing out a couple of bugs and irritations in the code for the site. While small, the represented an issue for him so I sought to address them quickly and have implemented those changes today. So, if you find a bug or have an idea for an improvement, let me know! I'd like to make this site the best it can be!
- Fixed issue where spell range would not update or display,
- Fixed issue where DM's could not view player character spells or cantrips,
- Fixed issue special characters would not display in item names,
- Fixed apostrophe issue for allies in the read only backstory,
- Fixed missing party members in read only backstory,
- Added notes to read only backstory,
- Fixed Apostrophe issue with items in the read only character profile.
April 4, 2016
It's been a long time since I've updated the site, but I wanted to give an update for what's been going down. I've been trying to implement an asychronous update system for the character sheet which would (in theory) severely reduce the need for you to keep hitting that update button. The idea is it woul dmake your life easier when updating the character sheet with more current information. That said, it's proving troublesome so I'm taking a few steps to make future development a bit easier. These steps are as follows:
- Drastically reduce the number of tables on a page and convert them into more flexible DIVs,
- Remove and reduce features which serve little actual benefit to the player,
- Remove and reduce vestigial code leftover from the dark early days of development,
- Clean up the code to make it more readable and easier to update,
- Make the layout look nicer on all platforms, mobile included.
So that's what I have been working on slowly. There should be some broken jankiness fixed as well. I apologize if that interupted your experience with the character sheet. Hopefully I can get something cool working and implement it soon.
October 9, 2015
So it's a new week and I haven't made a huge amount of progress updating and fixing the site. That said, I made a couple more posts to Reddit about the current state of the site and got some amazing feedback! I also had the opportunity to play another session of 5e over the last weekend and got to see how DMRoyale performs in an actual real-world session. So far, I think it works pretty great! I also came up with a whole bunch of ideas and features which would make the experience even easier and better for the user. So, I've got a long list of to-dos which I'll be knocking out over the next week or two. Until then, here are the latest bug fixes and new features as of 10/09/2015.
- Campaign Manager: Deleting campaigns causes else error.
- Character Sheet: Null text fields caused error when submitted.
- Character Sheet: Spells would not update.
- Character Sheet: Spells now able to be added in bulk .
- Campaign Manager: Player Characters now sorted by initiative automatically.
- Campaign Manager: DM now controls initiative for player characters.
- General: Updated PHP code for clarity and efficiency.
September 29, 2015
Here are the latest bug fixes and new features as of 9/29/2015.
- Character Sheet: Proficiencies and languages had old code in the update script which caused errors
- Character Sheet: Fixed bug where item weights would not update.
- Character Sheet: Text after apostrophes in text fields do not display after submitting.
- Character Sheet: Removed extraneous update code referencing old non-existing functionality.
- Character Sheet: Bug where attack descriptions did not update.
- Campaign Manager: Deleting NPCs no longer requires users to type “delete”.
- Character Sheet: Added character delete functionality.
- Character Sheet: Made combat page with condensed information for quick character updates.
- Character Sheet: Added description field for spells.
- Campaign Manager: Added campaign delete functionality.
- Campaign Manager: Added remove player functionality.
- General: Updated styling on new delete functionality.
There's a few cool new features here. I have some more things coming to give more power to the DM in the campaign manager, plus plans to implement spell descriptions. I should probably do a write-up on what this site is supposed to be for and about.
September 25, 2015
So I'm still plugging away on the last of the suggestions from Reddit. I've reached out to a few buddies of mine that I play D&D with and got some geed feedback too. Here's a list the latest bug fixes and new features as of 9/25/2015.
- Character Sheet: Wisdom modifier stays at +0 regardless of stat value.
- Character Sheet: Charisma stays at -5 regardless of stat value.
- Character Sheet: Proficiency Bonus does not update when a value is added.
- Character Sheet: Passive Wisdom does not update when a value is added.
- Character Sheet: In currency, the order of SP and CP is reversed.
- Character Sheet: Any character with the same text in the campaign code field will display on each others party.
- Character Sheet: Campaign code does not update.
- Character Sheet: The “Update Cantrips” on the spells page should be updated to. “Update Spells”.
- Character Sheet: Story text boxes outside of site body in firefox.
- Campaign Manager: Character notes can be added.
- Campaign Manager: Campaign notes can be added.
- Campaign Manager: NPCs and notes can be added.
- Character Sheet: Added check to campaign code where campaign code added MUST be an existing code. Fixes above bug.
- Character Sheet: Proficiency auto-calculates based on level. Fixes above bug.
- Character Sheet: Passive Wisdom auto-calculates based on wisdom modifier and perception. Fixes above bug.
- Character Sheet: Deleting Spells, allies, items, proficiencies/abilities, attacks/spells no longer requires users to type “delete”.
- Search Character: Functionality now available to anonymous users.
- On-site News: Oh hey, look what you're reading!
That's all for today. I'll post back when there's more!
September 6, 2015
So last month I made a whole bunch of posts to Reddit about the site. My main goal was to seek out advice from users familiar with web development, design and folks familiar with D&D. Specifically, the 5e flavor. I got a huge amount of feedback, some of which was incredibly valuable. I've done my best to implement changes that seemed they would improve the site and learned a whole bunch of new stuff in the process. The key take away here is that if I want this thing to be successful, it needs to be more convenient than the paper on the table in front of you. Which is pretty damn convenient already. Well, this can only get better from here!